Improving the quality of life of people suffering from type 2 diabetes, without substituting for medical treatment: this was the aim of Dr Rafraf’s university team in its clinical study of 46 subjects suffering from type 2 diabetes associated with microalbuminuria and supplemented with Oligopin®. (1)
Type 2 diabetes is the most widespread form of diabetes in the world (90%). It is characterised by chronic hyperglycaemia, i.e. an excessively high level of sugar in the blood, due to insulin resistance. It is often associated with being overweight.(2)
Oligopin® restores normal albuminuria
In this randomised double-blind study (3), versus placebo, it was shown that supplementation with 100mg of Oligopin®/day for 8 weeks reduced the UACR (Urinary Albumin to creatinine ratio) by 34.2%, and restored normal microalbuminuria values (<30mg/24h).
Oligopin® helps to maintain the body’s balance
By helping patients regain normal albuminuria (< 30 mg/24h), Oligopin® helps maintain homeostasis.
The daily supplementation with Oligopin® also demonstrated favorable effects on glycemic control, serum VCAM-1 as well as total cholesterol concentrations, which may be helpful in the control of diabetes complications.
- Decrease of FBS (fasting blood sugar) by 15.2%
- Decrease of HbA1c (Glycosylated hemoglobin) by 10.7%
- Decrease of VCAM-1 (Vascular Cell Adhesion Molecule) by 26.8%
Oligopin® is a French pine bark extract titrated in low molar mass OPC and manufactured in France by DRT, a company of the Firmenich group.
(1) As a reminder, microalbuminuria is defined by the presence of 30 to 300mg of albumin in the urine produced in 24 hours. This condition may lead to diabetic nephropathy
(3) Effect of French maritime pine bark extract supplementation on metabolic status and serum vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 levels in patients with type 2 diabetes and microalbuminuria
Complementary Therapies in Medicine 58 (2021) 102689